/etc/rc.tcpip in the RS/6000 3002 patch

Wendy Ross wross at engin.umich.edu
Tue Dec 4 14:12:14 AEST 1990

After installing the 3002 patch and rebooting my machine, I
noticed a rather bizarre error:

Starting tcpip daemons:
/etc/syslogd: ERROR: '57' getsockname, SRC not found, continuing without SRC support
        syslogd
        sendmail
        portmap
        inetd

As a result, none of the above daemons started automatically.
After narrowing everything down, I discovered that the 3001 and 3002
ps -e commands return slightly different things.  3001 version has
five columns and 3002 has four columns.  Thus, when /etc/rc.tcpip
checks for the srcmstr running, the line should be changed from

src_running=`ps -e | awk '$5 == "srcmstr" { print $1 }'`  <version 3001>

src_running=`ps -e | awk '$4 == "srcmstr" { print $1 }'`  <version 3002>

I was rather perplexed, because although there was mention in the update
documentation that /etc/rc.tcpip *was* changed in the 3002 release, a
restore -T on the update bosnet.tcpip.obj file did not confirm that
/etc/rc.tcpip was one of the changed files.  Additionally, the machines
that were updated did not show a change in this file.

I did a dd from the stacked tape to get these files onto my server so I
could apply the patch across the network.

Am I missing something here, or have other persons had this problem
when moving to 3002?

-Wendy

wross at caen.engin.umich.edu
<insert amusing quip here>