AIX 1.2 and Maxtor 660 MB disk: Please help

HAAS hh2 at prism.gatech.EDU
Tue Dec 11 05:07:14 AEST 1990

I am having trouble installing AIX 1.2 on an IBM Model 80 with a Maxtor
660 MB SCSI disk. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

So far:
I've installed the disk (with the IBM SCSI controller) and it works fines
under DOS. I changed the fsmap file on my installation disks to include
the larger disk. I installed AIX. The installation went OK, but AIX will
not boot from the hard disk. I get the following error message:

HD error: cyl 65114 trk 65517 sector 17 nsects 8 drive 0
undefined error (0) occured
dlook: not a directory
/boot not found
bload: can't open boot
boot strap panic: Unexpected exit in boot code

When I try to run minidisks, I get this error:

040-006 The "minidisk command could not complete because it detected that
        hard disk "hdisk0" has an invalid AIX volume Table of Contents.
        Please see your messages reference book.

However, error 040-006 in my messages book is NOT the same error.

Apparently, the installation program uses a temporary integer value to
describe the disk parameters, which limits the disk size description to
512 MB. this makes sense as the above boot error reports bogus cyl and trk
info. I have been given patch instructions to search for, and replace,
a binary string on the installation disk. This is supposed to change the
temperary value to a long value, but a search of the install disk doesn't
find the required string. At this point, it seems I could simply patch the
values on the boot sector of the hard disk to represent the correct disk
parameters, IF I knew where to look . . . .

ANY help at all on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

---
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/EB          "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2
Internet:    hhaas@{gtri01|rmadsun}.gatech.edu hh2 at prism.gatech.edu
--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2