AIX 3.1 RPC Messages

Peter Murray pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
Thu Dec 6 01:26:13 AEST 1990

In article <4124 at network.ucsd.edu>, fred at network.ucsd.edu (Fred Criscuolo) writes:
> I am new to this newsgroup, so I apologize if this issue has been
> addressed previously.  I have an RS/6000 Model 320 with AIX 3.1 and
> the following messages keep popping up on my console every few minutes.
> There are other RS/6000s on campus, none of which are experiencing this
> problem.  Any ideas on how to fix this will be appreciated.
> The first message is:
>    Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
>    rpc.statd: unable to register (SM_PROG, SM_VERS, udp).
> The second message is:
>     Cannot register service: RPC: Timed out
>     unable to register (NLM_PROG, NLM_VERS, tcp).
> Thanks in advance.

I ran into this problem earlier this week on an Ultrix box.  You need
to have the program /usr/etc/portmap running.  It translates RPC service
numbers to Internet port numbers.  There is a line in the /etc/rc.tcpip
which says

	start /usr/etc/portmap "$src_running"

Presumably, something in SMIT adds this line.

Peter
--
Peter Murray            Neat UNIX Stunts #5:             pemurray at miavx1.bitnet
176 Thompson Hall    sh> drink <bottle; opener    pmurray at apsvax.aps.muohio.edu