Those Pre-Install Blues

Bruce Johnson johnson at horta.rice.edu
Wed Dec 5 12:30:27 AEST 1990

	We just got a model 530 in and appear to have been bitten
by the same "feature" with pre-installed software.  Guessing our
way through installation procedures, we hit failures which have
been tracked to this huge /usr partition taking over the 355 MB
(unformatted) disk.  The failure turns out to be because the root
partition is full and has nowhere to grow.

	Now what?  We have succeeded in getting Wren VII's mounted
on external SCSI, so there is no problem with making a copy of the
entire set of file systems on the 355 if that will help.  That is,
we thought it might be possible to reconstruct /usr.  But we seem to
not even be able to umount /usr because it is always busy (probably
this pesky errdaemon that runs from there).  Is booting from a floppy
the way to do this?

	Thanks in advance for any help.

--
				Bruce Johnson