rdump problems with AIX 1.2

Eric Giguere giguere at csg.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Dec 13 02:42:16 AEST 1990

Well, one solution is to use tar and pipe it through a remote shell which
dd's it straight to the tape device.  It's not very elegant, but it does
work.  Here is what I use to dump an AIX tree to the Exabyte off our Sun:

   tar cvBNSf 56 120 at 517210 - . | rsh host dd of=/dev/rst9 obs=56b

where host is the name of the Sun.  I read the table of contents of the
tar back off the tape from AIX using:

   rsh host -n dd if=/dev/rst9 bs=56b | tar tvBNSf 56 120 at 517210 -

And of course replacing "t" with "x" will extract the tree.  Dunno what
the optimal blocking factor is, but this works for me.

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere at csg.UWaterloo.CA
           Quoth the raven: "Eat my shorts!" --- Poe & Groening