permits on /dev/tty after install

Scott Holt scott at prism.gatech.EDU
Thu Dec 6 03:30:18 AEST 1990

I recently installed AIX 3.1 - 3001 on two 320s using a backup
tape made from one of our other systems. After installing these
two machines we found that non-root users could not execute the
X server.

A trace indicated that the X server was failing when trying to
open /dev/tty. The permits on /dev/tty were 622 (rw--w--w-) and
it was owned by root. On other systems, mostly preinstalled, the
permits on /dev/tty are 666 - including the system from which
the installtion image was made.

We have our solution - simply change the permits. However, I would
be interested in knowing why the permits were set this way and
if there are any other negative implications of installing a
system in this way. Also, though the documentation implies that
this is safe, the machine from which the backup image was made
was not a 320, but a 540.

- Scott