Useful information for network installers

Wendy Ross wross at engin.umich.edu
Thu Dec 6 05:48:48 AEST 1990

Good gravy, I would think dragging a tape drive and diskettes
around would be rather cumbersome, not to mention a big waste
of time!

Ever since we received the machines in bulk, I followed (pretty
much) IBM's instructions on setting up a server to be able
to load the base operating system and the network lpp through
the network.  Anytime I need to reload a machine I take
three floppy diskettes, the boot, display, and installation/
maintenance diskettes, and the client gets absolutely everything
from the server.  Naturally, I enhanced things with a couple
of my own scripts.  The load procedure for the base os and
network lpp takes about 1/2 hour.

               -Wendy

wross at caen.engin.umich.edu
<insert amusing quip here>