Problem with modem on S2 serial port

Mike Stefanik/78125 mike at bria.AIX
Fri Dec 28 23:49:09 AEST 1990

I having a bit of a problem with an RS/6000 and a modem on the
S2 serial port.  I'm running 3.1 (3002 updates), and have a
Multitech 224E sitting on the S2 port (and, of course, using a
standard IBM modem cable for said port).  The port is the standard
2400 bps, 81N, and *enabled* for login (not shared; that doesn't seem
to work *at all*, even with 3002 applied).

The problem is that when I try to dial up the system, I get a
connect, but no login.  Now, what is interesting is that *infrequently*
when two "pdisable" and two "penable" commands are issued, such as:

     # pdisable tty1; pdisable tty1; penable tty1; penable tty1

I have gotten a login, and from that point on was able to login
consistently.  However, once the machine is rebooted, it goes on the
fritz again.

BTW: There is a getty on the port at the time ...

Anyone out there have any ideas?