rt > risc/6000

Matt Landau mlandau at bbn.com
Tue Feb 27 14:35:13 AEST 1990

marc at stingray..austin.ibm.com (Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C-22) writes:
>.... there is an option for the compiler to put the string constants
>in read-write storage.  This option is -qnoro.  That is, just use
>    cc -qnoro hello.c -o hello
>to disable the read-only string storage mechanism.

If you don't feel like modifying all of your Makefiles to change the
compiler flags, you should be able to edit /etc/xlc.cfg and set them
once and for all.

That's one *really* nice thing about the RIOS C compiler -- all of the
default options are set through this file, and you can have different
option sets depending on the name by which you invoke the compiler.
(For instance, cc and xlc are really the same binary, but with different
options controlled by /etc/xlc.cfg)

When porting code from non-ANSI environments, I found it helpful to
set the options for "cc" so they include -qchars=signed and -qnoro.