TCP/IP Over SNA

drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com
Sat Jul 21 03:04:50 AEST 1990

In article <BOB.90Jul19094010 at volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob at MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>In article <2812 at awdprime.UUCP> linas at linas.austin.ibm.com (Linas Vepstas/32784) writes:
>
>   IBM TCP/IP is NOT implemented on top of SNA.
>
>I don't know of anyone who's doing that.  Yet.

The IBM mainframe TCP/IP products for the VM and MVS operating systems
will, in fact, allow you to use an existing SNA network to route IP packets.
You do not HAVE to do this, of course, but it's an option that can be very
attractive if you already have a SNA network between two cities, say.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake at ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861