installing several AIX PS/2's

Tapio Lehtonen lehtonen at cs.Helsinki.FI
Wed Jul 4 21:05:50 AEST 1990

In article <1316 at msa3b.UUCP> kevin at msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:
>peter at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Peter Wu) writes:
>
>>I was wondering if there anyone out there who has the same problem.
>>We have to install AIX 1.2 on ~30 PS/2's and I was wondering if there
>>is any easy/efficient/time-saving way besides spending up to three
>>hours on one machine swapping disks?

>1. Install one machine (all disks, all updates, all products).
>2. Boot from the maintennance disk, and take a "minidisk"
>   backup of /<local>, and root minidisks (each to a separate tape).

Exacly how is this standalone backup done from the boot/maintenance
disks? I try to choose standalone backup from the menu, but after asking
umpteen questions it responds with CAN'T OPEN /DEV/RMT0. I think I have
the correct values for tape length and density, at least the local IBM
AIX expert wrote them down for my distributor to give to me.

I am right now running AIX PS/2 1.2, this standalone backup to tape did
work on 1.1. And it works to disk even now, just this tape can't be
opened.

--
Tapio Lehtonen                        PHONE + 358 0 7084206
Dept. Comp. Sci., Univ. of Helsinki   TELEX 122785 TSK SF  FAX 708 4441