RS6000 Info with PC-Xsight

Marc Pawliger marc at neon.paloalto.ibm.com
Tue Jul 17 06:26:20 AEST 1990

In article <3654 at auspex.auspex.com>, guy at auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
|> >Info also uses a large number of fonts which appear not to be standard with
|> >X Windows.
|>
|> Including, perhaps, the cursor font....
|>
|> I've heard things that lead me to believe that Info is based on the
|> Andrew toolkit.  Is that the case?  If so, perhaps the Andrew fonts -
|> which come with the Andrew distribution in the X11R4 source, and come in
|> "fdb" form, along with an "fdb"-to-BDF converted - are what you want.
|> (Andrew uses one of its fonts for cursors.)

1) Yes, InfoExplorer ("info") is based on the Andrew Tool Kit (ATK).

2) Info only uses two non-text fonts: "cursor", which is standard on every X
implementation (R3 and R4) I've ever seen, and "icon12", which is an ATK
cursor font.  Cursor should always be available and the only things that will
look strange if icon12 is missing are text carets and the like.

IBM is currently shipping the X11R3 fonts with the Risc System 6000.  Info
looks best with a wider set of fonts than R3 provides, so some snf files from
R4, along with a fonts.dir and fonts.alias file, are shipped in /usr/lpp/info/
X11fonts.  If you have the R4 fonts, and are using info remotely, you can use
the fonts.* files to give you a hint on how to do the name mapping so info will
find the correct fonts under the name it requests them as.

People have also mentioned that info does not accept common X switches like
-fg and -bg.  It actually does, but the front-end script in /usr/bin/info
just ignored these switches and did not pass them on to the actual info
program (/usr/lpp/info/bin/info_gr) that it invoked.  A new version of the
script that includes a usage statements and smarter argument parsing should
be shipped with the next set of updates.

I speak for myself, not IBM

+---Marc Pawliger---IBM Advanced Workstations Division---Palo Alto, CA---+
|    Internet: marc%ibmsupt at uunet.uu.net     VNET:    MARCP at AUSVM6    |
|     UUCP:     uunet!ibmsupt!ibmpa!marc      Phone:   (415) 855-3493    |
+------IBMnet:   marc at ibmpa.tcspa.ibm.com------IBM T/L:  465-3493--------+