how brain dead is AIX?

James Salter jsalter at slo.uucp
Tue Jul 3 09:47:47 AEST 1990

In article <508 at ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov> jsm at ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov (John Scott McCauley Jr.) writes:
>A) When there are conflicts, they are resolved with priority 1) POSIX
>	2) SVID 3) 4.3 BSD 4) AIX/RT. (p. 3).

It's sure real close.

>   So, do you get:
>     1) the System V file system or the 'Berkeley Fast File System'

None of the above.  You get the AIXv3 JFS (Journalling File System).
See the description of it under InfoExplorer.

>     3) job control (control-Z)

Well, you get csh and ksh.

>B) 'Most 4.3 BSD commands, system calls, and library routines are supported.'
> 	(p.3) and features include a '4.3 BSD compatibility library'.  (p.5)
>  Ok, what is missing?

See the documents "Porting 4.3 BSD programs to AIX Version 3.1" in
/usr/lpp/bos/bsdport and "AIXv3 for 4.3 BSD System Administrators" in
/usr/lpp/bos/bsdadm.

They give a good list of differences between AIXv3 and 4.3 BSD stuff.

There is also a 4.3 BSD library available for library routines and system
calls that weren't normally in AIXv3 - /usr/lib/libbsd.a.

>One more question: we already have several BSDish systems (Dec- and Sparc-
>  stations).  Things are currently seamless: all programs we have needed so far
>  will compile on both and run fine on both. Would the same be true of an AIX
>  system? Will we have to hire someone full time to support the AIX? How many
>  lines like '#ifdef AIX' are there in the source code for gnu-emacs? X11R4?

See the "Porting 4.3 BSD programs to AIX Version 3.1" guide.  It describes
how to do this relatively painlessly.  Specifically the "bsdcc" stanza
description.  Your mileage may vary.

>	Thanks,
>		Scott

jim/jsalter  IBM AWD, Palo Alto  T465/(415)855-4427   VNET: JSALTER at AUSVMQ
Internet: ibmsupt!jsalter at uunet.uu.net         UUCP: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!jsalter
  "Life can be modelled as a hidden Markov process with infinite states and
   no a-priori knowledge of the probability density functions." - dakramer