sendmail.cf problems on AIX 2.2.1 on RT

Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091 jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com
Tue Jul 31 02:34:33 AEST 1990

In article <871 at airgun.wg.waii.com> markw at airgun.wg.waii.com (Mark Whetzel) writes:
>If any inbound mail from uunet is for some other machine on my network
>(such as kepler)  mail directed in as  markw at kepler.wg.waii.com
>will get bounced!
>>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>>bad system name: kepler.wg.waii.com
>>uux failed ( 11 )
>>554 kepler.wg.waii.com!markw... unknown mailer error 11

It looks to me like your sendmail daemon on airgun is getting exactly the
recipient address specified in the 554 message.  To check what's coming in
from uucico, save /bin/rmail and replace it with a shell script that prints
its args and input, e.g.:

    #!/bin/sh
    echo "$0: $*" >> /tmp/rmail.out
    while read line; do
	echo "$0: $line" >> /tmp/rmail.out
    done

Then send the mail and see who the recipient is, and what the mail header looks
like.  If that looks ok, do the same with /usr/lib/sendmail, and see what rmail
is passing off to it (uucico invokes rmail which invokes sendmail).  My guess
is that it's rmail's fault, but check it out.