AIX sendmail (was: System/6000 questions.)

Peter Jeffe 512.823.4091 jeffe at sandino.austin.ibm.com
Wed Jul 25 02:56:04 AEST 1990

In article <5058 at milton.u.washington.edu> eliot at milton.u.washington.edu (Eliot Lim) writes:
>+But I'm curious: what led you to believe that [AIX3's sendmail] was 5.2?
>
>When I type mail to look at messages, it says "5.2 BSD".  I suppose I'm
>mistaken.  More worrying, however, is that a standard campus wide
>sendmail.cf file will not work with the shipped version of sendmail.
>Using my vanilla ported sendmail works and that will be the one I'll be
>using since I don't have the time to go and find out what's wrong.

The id that is displayed using mail/mailx is mailx's version, not sendmail's.

AIX sendmail doesn't pretend to be plain-vanilla BSD; some of our programs
track very closely (such as mailx), while others such as sendmail diverge
where it's been decided to provide "enhancements".  This is reflected in
the .cf file, and I see no reason why a reasonably experienced mail
administrator would have more trouble configuring AIX sendmail than
another system's.  If you're doing something particular with the rewrite
rules, then you should be able to figure it out; otherwise, just configure
the options how you want.  The intent is to provide a config file that will
run the first time out under 95% of cases: it provides typical tcp, uucp,
and local mailers and rewrite rules.  And personally, I find it easier
to configure than messing with all the BSD m4 stuff.