System/6000 questions.

Geoff Coleman geoff at edm.uucp
Fri Jul 6 14:38:38 AEST 1990

>From article <4913 at darkstar.ucsc.edu>, by petery at ucscc.UCSC.EDU (20060000):
->
-> I just got a message from back home (W.Germany) that IBM would not
-> ship any RS/6000 with less than 16MB memory, because "you would not
-> get the quoted preformance figures".
->
-> Does anybody know why this is?
->
-> Joseph Reger
-> UCSC
-> joseph at chromo.ucsc.edu

	Last I heard a 6000 wouldn't boot with less than 16 Mbytes because of
building stuff in RAM. I do know that you can allocate 8 Mbyte for debug
purposes (which effectively takes it out of use) and we saw no performance
degradation up to at least 20 users for our Progress application (accounting
software).

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

p.s. This was with 9005. IBM has said the booting problem will change with
	"golden" code. Has anyone seen this product yet (it should have shipped
	last Friday (June 29)).