Install 1.2 From Tape?

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Tue Jul 3 22:08:16 AEST 1990

I need to increase the size of my root and local minidisks.  In addition,
I'd like to get a backup to a single tape that would allow me to recreate my
entire system should I loose my hard disk.  Would the following scenario
work?

(System is fully installed and functioning before beginning this procedure)

1. cd /
2. find ./ -print | backup -i -f/dev/rmt0 -d2000 -s5400
3. Run the first part of the "install new AIX" procedure
   (up through making minidisks and installing the "mini system")
4. When the install procedure displays the menu to continue installing
   from diskette0, diskette1, or tape, select tape.

Based on the fact that the install (from diskette) displays lots of lines
   x ./dirname/filename
I assume that the install (after the first phase mentioned as #3 above) is
just doing a "file" restore from the source device.  Is there anything more
to it than that?
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."