Porting from AIX/RT to AIX PS/2.

Richard L. Pettit Jr. richp at romulus.la.locus.com
Thu Jul 12 00:21:17 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul10.182257.1528 at ariel.unm.edu> cs3631bs at hydra.unm.edu (Peter Blemel) writes:
>I am trying to port C and f77 code to the PS/2 running AIX. The IBM guys
>loaned me one of these boxes, but had no manuals. Worse yet, no one seems
>to know anything about the compilers.
>
>I have been told there is no f77 or cc, just vsfort and vsc. There also seems
>to be no make, which is making my life miserable at best. I have figured out

You must have the Application Development Toolkit installed in order to
have make.  ADT also gives you dbx, nm, strip, the C library, and lots
of other stuff (is /usr/include/stdio.h missing ?).

>that one must invoke vsfort, vspass2, and vspass3 in order to produce a .o

Again, if you have ADT, then you should have cc and according to the
vs{fort,pas,c} documentation (I've never used the Fortran compiler, I
*HATE* Fortran) simply invoking cc on the input source should work.
It works fine for .c and .p files (C and Pascal).  You should never
have to invoke the separate passes of the compiler by hand.

>file (IBM talks about some vsf command, but a "find / -name "*vsf*" -print"
>can only find the stuff in /lib.
>
>Now that I've gotten this far, I am trying to link. I use ld with a -l for
>every .a file in /lib/libvs*.a, but there are C symbols that remain unresolved
>(things like printf()). I can not for the life of me find the standard C
>library.

You DEFINITELY don't have ADT installed.

>I find it very hard to believe that this is all IBM has to offer, especially
>with the RT AIX version being as complete as it is (I.e. cc and f77 and make).
>Would someone please be so kind as to
>
>a) send product numbers for f77, cc, make.
>b) tell me at least how to compile and link a simple fortran program.
>
>Peter Blemel

Tell the IBM person you need "the following lpps: ADT, C, and Fortran".
Once installp'ed, the command for compiling your Fortran program should
look like this:

  cc filename.f
----
              Richard Pettit                       Locus Computing Corp.
                                richp at locus.com
            "Opinions expressed herein are of the author, not LCC."