IBM and FSF (was Why did IBM drop GNU emacs from the RS/6000 ?)

Jaakko Aho jaho at otax.tky.hut.fi
Thu Jul 26 03:26:08 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul11.171734.5881 at tsa.co.uk> domo at tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:

   In article <334 at nwnexus.WA.COM> golder at nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) writes:
   >Or [did IBM drop emacs because] the whole concept of the FSF too strange
   >and threatening for IBM's corporate culture to deal with?

   Or was it only last year that IBM contributed a useful sum (was it $25,000?)
   to FSF?

I do not know anything about 'a useful sum', but FSF has been given at
least one RS/6000 machine. The concept of FSF was not threateninig to
IBM, the reasons behind dropping GNU Emacs from distribution were
different. Unipress threatened IBM with a lawsuit over some code in
GNU Emacs. IBM and FSF decided not to distribute Emacs in RS/6000
family. FSF has promised to to supply a version of GNU Emacs that will
work in RS/6000's and IBM's customers are asked to get a copy from
FSF.

   --
   Dominic Dunlop
Jaakko Aho	            "Sometimes I think the surest sign that