Why did IBM drop GNU emacs from the RS/6000 ?

Ronald S. Woan/2100000 ron at woan.austin.ibm.com
Thu Jul 12 01:44:15 AEST 1990

In article <9921 at cs.utexas.edu>, harley at cs.utexas.edu (Harley Hahn) writes:
In article <334 at nwnexus.WA.COM> golder at nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) writes:
>IBM says that it stopped distributing GNU emacs with the RS/6000
>because of the threat of legal action.  Does anyone out there
>know who was going to sue?  Unipress?

Yes! Didn't someone mention in one of the GNU newsgroups that Stallman
is/has rewritten all of the Gosling code now for the next release.

Harley> BTW, if you look in the offical IBM Quick Pricer, you can see that they
Harley> were going to charge $125 for distributing EMACS.

Not bad considering the overhead involved (inventory, media, tracking)
costs for an IBM distribution; check out Austin Code Works
distribution charges. Not to fear, FSF has said that they would
distribute GNU EMACS in an AIX 3.1 compatible form, and their tape
costs only $125 too last time I looked (or was it $150) and comes with
the rest of their goodies.

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron at woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort              woan at peyote.cactus.org or woan at soda.berkeley.edu +