how brain dead is AIX?

drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com drake at drake.almaden.ibm.com
Thu Jul 5 05:15:45 AEST 1990

In article <508 at ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov> jsm at ss01.pppl.gov@ccc.nmfecc.gov (John Scott McCauley Jr.) writes:

>   So, do you get:
>     1) the System V file system or the 'Berkeley Fast File System'

You get the IBM Journalled File System, with better reliability characteristics
than the others.  Filesystems can be dynamically extended into non-contiguous
space while the system runs.  From the user's perspective, the system has
Berkeley-like long file names, not 14-character SysV names.

>     2) streams or sockets

Sockets.

>     3) job control (control-Z)

Yes.

>     4) AT&T or Berkeley terminal device driver.

Both, plus a POSIX terminal device driver.

>B) 'Most 4.3 BSD commands, system calls, and library routines are supported.'
> 	(p.3) and features include a '4.3 BSD compatibility library'.  (p.5)
>
>  Ok, what is missing?

I can't give you any exhaustive lists, but IBM has a book entitled the
"AIX Family Definition Overview", order number GC23-2002, that lists every
command and function in SysV and BSD and tells which ones are supported
by the AIX Family Definition.

Sam Drake / IBM Almaden Research Center
Internet:  drake at ibm.com            BITNET:  DRAKE at ALMADEN
Usenet:    ...!uunet!ibmarc!drake   Phone:   (408) 927-1861