Odd Problems setting up RS6000 on TCP/IP network

Dana Roode roode at anansi.acs.uci.edu
Fri Jul 27 10:07:09 AEST 1990

Thanks to those that replied to my query about problems getting tcp/ip
configured right.  It turns out that en0 is the interface of choice,
and the O/S version is 9013s6 not 9021.

I followed Russell A. Heise's advice and undid everything, rebooted, and
redid it all.  It worked better - could connect to system on the same
subnet, but not off it.  My default route was still going through the
loopback interface, lo0.  "ifconfig lo0" still reported an ip
address of the Host ip#, not 127.0.0.1 as it should be.

I saw no way in smit to delete or change lo0, so I punted.  I commented
out the cfgmgr/ODM commands in /etc/rc.net, and used the
traditional UNIX commands.  They worked great.

If anyone has a clue how lo0 got the Host ip number, or how to
undo it, drop me a line.  Otherwise I'll consider it a fluke and
will see to it we upgrade to 9021 soon.

   Dana Roode
   UC Irvine