Why did IBM drop GNU emacs from the RS/6000 ?

Mark Brown mbrown at tonic.osf.org
Wed Jul 11 10:05:37 AEST 1990

In article <334 at nwnexus.WA.COM>, golder at nwnexus.WA.COM (Warren Jones) writes:
|> IBM says that it stopped distributing GNU emacs with the RS/6000
|> because of the threat of legal action.  Does anyone out there
|> know who was going to sue?  Unipress?

Yes and Yes.

|> Or was the whole concept of the FSF too strange and threatening
|> for IBM's corporate culture to deal with?
|> Warren Jones <golder at nwnexus.wa.com>      Golder Associates Inc.
Ah, the Age of the Cheap Shot is upon us.

DISCLAIMER: I don't speak for IBM. They don't make me wear ties.
Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  |  "The tricky part is common usage."
The Good     mbrown at osf.org |
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown|       ---B.2.8.2, "POSIX Symbols",
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |                 POSIX 1003.1-1988