fail to 'see' ethercard

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Sat Jun 16 02:23:38 AEST 1990

In article <8272 at ilog.UUCP> picard at ilog.UUCP (Jean-Yves Picard) writes:
>i own (among others) a ps/2 (model 8580-311)
>i used aix 1.1 (freshly installed)
>i've slot an ethercard (in slot #7 if that matter)
>i used the reference diskette to have the board recognized,
>i compile some kernel (newkernel in /usr/sys)
>i even RTFM thouh it doesn't help very much,
>when invoking ifconfig net0 192.XX.XX.XX i get
>IOCTL: no such interface.

You do not say what type of ethernet card you have in the system, 1.1 only
supports the Ungerman Bass (sp?) card. Just to verify that the device driver
is in the kernel, if you give the command 'netstat -i' does it show the net0
interface (it will show all network interfaces configured into the kernel
regardless of whether or not you have the hardware)?? If net0 is not shown
you will need to edit the /etc/system file to add it, if it is then you
have a problem with the hardware (like wrong type card).

>does anyone out there use networking on thick ethernet, mount NFS directory ?

I am not sure what you mean here, in answer to the first question, yes most
places use thick as opposed to thin ethernet, or at least most places that
run AIX that I deal with. On the reference to NFS, 1.1 does not have NFS,
1.2 for the PS/2 does, if this is important you have a significant reason to
upgrade.

Disclaimer: My postings are in no way official statements by LCC or IBM.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM