I heard rumors that ..........

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Fri Jun 8 08:33:24 AEST 1990

richp at romulus.la.locus.com (Richard L. Pettit Jr.) writes:
> avilla at rodan.acs.syr.edu (Aldo Villa) writes:
> >I heard rumors that IBM is going to dump UNIX-AIX because they are having too
> >many problems with it.
> >How well-founde are these rumors?
> I might speculate that they are not well founded at all.  With the
> release of the RS-6000, IBM has become as committed to AIX as they
> are to VM or MVS.

There's reason to think the commitment may be short-term only:  IBM has
announced that they will go to OSF/1 when it becomes available.  Their part
of an OSF press release not too long ago said that they were committed to
OSF/1; additional comments reported in the trade press said that they'd be
going to OSF/1 on the PS/2 first, since the RS/6000 folks had their hands
busy right now (with the product just coming out).

Of course, there are reasons you might second-guess these statements:
First and foremost, they came in an OSF press release which was an almost
obligatory "show of unity" among OSF members after the latest affair with
UI broke off.  Second (but also important) is that OSF/1 has to exist, for
real, in a form near enough to product quality, before anyone is going to
make a *real* real commitment to it.  So believe what you want of it, but
the rumors do have some basis in statements by IBM.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.