rt > risc/6000

Steve DeJarnett steve at qe2.uucp
Sat Mar 3 08:22:40 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb25.065535.25717 at acheron.uucp> clarke at acheron.uucp (Ed Clarke/10240000) writes:
>I compiled nntp (clientlib.o) and vn with the nntp option on a 6000.
>It works ... except that command line parsing is screwed up.  I'll
>take a look at it when I get a chance.  Note! The c compiler won't
>let you do perverted things like store into a string constant.  I
>had to use the AIX tmpnam rather than the vn version.

	This is because the compiler obeys ANSI C, which states that you can't
store into a string constant (or words to that effect -- I don't have the
standard with me at the moment).  The compiler can be made more lax by using
the -qNORO (no read-only text) flag, which I believe will let you do what you
want.

	You can also get around this problem by redeclaring the string constant
to be an array of char's, which can be reassigned into.

>Ed Clarke      | Happiness, n.  An agreeable sensation arising from
>acheron!clarke | contemplating the misery of another. - Ambrose Bierce

	Hope that helps a little.

Steve DeJarnett			Internal: steve at ibmpa.tcspa.ibm.com
IBM AWD Palo Alto		UUCP:	  ibmsupt!ibmpa!steve at uunet.uu.net
(415) 855-3510			VNET:	  steve at paloalto
These opinions are my own.  I doubt IBM wants them.......