Benchmarks for IBM Risc/6000

Alex Nghiem nghiem at ut-emx.UUCP
Sat Mar 10 11:27:39 AEST 1990

In article <25695 at ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem at ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>I may have an opportunity to run benchmarks on a Risc/6000 Friday
>morning 3-7-90. I would like to locate the benchmarks people
>are interested in and have them ready for the demonstration.

I did not have a machine to test at the meeting today. We have
scheduled a hands on demo for Wednesday, March 14. Our rep
will prepare a system with the latest operating system for
this demo. Apparently the version of AIX currently installed is a demo
version only. It operates slower than the release version
will because of debugging traps, etc.

>Please send e-mail regarding what benchmarks I should run, where
>I can get it from the internet, and what caveats I have to avoid
>so that the tests will be valid. I am interested in version 2.0 of
>the drystones test, an SCSI performance benchmark if one is avaliable,
>etc.

I have received the drystone 2.1 demo and the xfroot demo. Did not
have a chance to try the x benchmark yet. I tried the drystone
on an RT 6150 AIX 2.1.2 (~2100 drystones), a Sun 3 [150?] 4.0.3
(~2800 drystones), a Vax [11/750?] BSD 4.3 (~1600 drystones),
and Macintosh II A/UX 1.01 (~2900 drystones). The RISC/6000 is
advertised to run ~45K drystones.

>If you have the source and want to send it to me, please send it
>to nghiem at ix2.cc.utexas.edu. If unsuccessful, try any of the addresses
>in my signature.

Please send additional benchmarks or tell me where I can find them.
I've heard about the Byte Unix benchmarks. I would like to find
some kind of SCSI and some ethernet benchmark as well. Also,
IBM's results are in Mips and Mflops. Does anybody have the calculations
to convert the drystones to this figure or have an actual benchmark?

>Also, I assume the new systems will DOS read text from a standard
>3.5" floppy. If I am wrong, please tell me so.

The RISC/6000 will dosread a 720K or 1.44m 3.5" floppy
This article is posted for factual information only. Any misrepresentation,
if any, is purely unintentional. Any opinion expressed or implicit in
these remarks are solely my own.

nghiem at emx.utexas.edu
!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!nghiem
nghiem at walt.cc.utexas.edu