SLIP with AIX PS/2

John Ioannidis ji at CLOSE.CS.COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Mar 29 17:45:09 AEST 1990

In article <AIX-L%90032809005553 at PUCC.BITNET> IBM AIX Discussion List <AIX-L at PUC
>I would like to connect a PS/2 with AIX to our IP network with a serial line.
>But isn't possible to configure a tty as an IP device with 'ifconfig' because
>the driver 'sa' doesn't allow such configuration. I know, in AIX/RT on the
>IBM 6150 you can make it without any problems.
>Does anyone know a solution for my problem or an special driver for the tty
>device to make SLIP with AIX PS/2 ?
>U.S.

No, of course not, you need a SLIP driver for it. Although AIX is a curious
mixtures of various flavors of Un*x, its networking is mostly BSD
and its ttys use line disciplines (rather than STREAMS). What this
means is that you can grab the 4.3 or SunOS 3.x SLIP implementation
and try to port it over to the PS/2. It shouldn't talke more than
a day or two. Volume II of the Technical Reference Manual has
extensive examples on how to write network device drivers, so that
should help too.

 /ji