AIX 3 kernel [was: Re: IBM X implementation [ was: Re: grep ]]

John Hascall hascall at cs.iastate.edu
Sun Mar 18 05:36:00 AEST 1990

In article <1453 at ks.UUCP> drake at ibmarc.uucp (Sam Drake) writes:
}In article <794 at dgis.dtic.dla.mil> jkrueger at dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) writes:

}>What value has IBM added with its [kernel]?

}The AIX 3 kernel is:

}o  Pageable (most of the kernel doesn't hog up real memory when not in use)
}o  Pre-emptable (device drivers and kernel routines can be interrupted by
}   higher priority tasks and interrupts, allowing a more responsive system)
}o  Has dynamically definable/deletable/reconfigurable device drivers
}o  Has dynamically definable/deletable kernel extensions (you can add
}   new system calls to the kernel as the system runs without a kernel rebuild)
}o  Improved realtime capabilities (due to the pre-emptable kernel etc)

    Hmmm, how novel...and how many years have these things been in VMS?

    Oh, sorry I forgot we're not supposed to use the V-word,
    John Hascall
    ISU Comp Ctr
    hascall at atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu