Fast disk reads/writes

Shawn Hayes shawn at jdyx.UUCP
Thu Mar 22 12:23:05 AEST 1990

    Okay, here's a more serious question.  I would like to know what is the
fastest way to read/write information to a custom database on a RS 6000 or in
a UNIX operating system using an SCSI device(I'm not sure if it would have an
effect, but ???).  One way would be to do the seek to the next available
location and write the information.  Since this is a database, you would
probably want to have the information be posted to the disk as soon as you
write it so the Sync option should be turned on.  I feel like there must be a
better way to handle this, but I haven't thought of any tricks to use in this
system.  One possibility would be to read and write information a track at
a time.  Is that possible under AIX and is that the most efficeint way to
do it under this OS???

    Any comments?

                                                 Shawn Hayes