Risc System/6000

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Sun Mar 11 14:36:46 AEST 1990

madd at world.std.com (jim frost) writes:
...[deleted: someone else's shot at AIX]
> Here I've got to stand up for IBM a little.  SunOS is a bug, hairy,
> hulking monster of an operating system...

(I particularly enjoy the typo big->bug...or, hmmm, WAS it a typo?)

>...And I *like* SunOS for the
> most part.  My only gripe about AIX 3.0 is that in my experience it
> doesn't stay up during simple usage; I haven't been able to *try*
> anything complicated yet.

OK, if I interpret this aright, AIX 3.0 is found to be no more b{iu}g,
hairy, and hulking than SunOS.  I'm not sure that's much of a compliment,
Jim!  (As an aside to the rest of you:  Do you really think humongous
kernels are OK, or at least not a problem to worry about?  If so, have you
heard about the problems Sun had when things got so big they wouldn't fit
on an older machine--I think it was the 3/50?)

Or, perhaps Jim didn't really mean a damning-by-faint-praise comparison
with SunOS on size...but that leaves us with the mere complaint that his
system won't stay up long enough to do much!

(Jim - I don't mean to make fun of you, but where *were* you standing up
for IBM?  I really don't think "not much worse than SunOS" is all that
kind!)
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Relax...don't worry...have a homebrew.