Risc System/6000

jim frost madd at world.std.com
Fri Mar 9 11:59:43 AEST 1990

schafer at brazos.rice.edu (Richard A. Schafer) writes:
>my calculations seem to suggest that the
>(much?)-less-powerful SparcStation 1 actually costs a little bit *more*
>then the equivalently configured PowerStation 320.

Yep, but my sparcstation 1 worked right out of the box and hasn't
crashed yet.  Our 6000 took about a month of IBM technical support
help to get running at all and we've already had to do an OS upgrade
(which fixed a lot of stuff -- ksh no longer seems to crash the thing
-- but there's a lot to be fixed).

So it comes down to this:  I can get my compiles done in twice the
time all the time or half the time every couple of weeks.

Which do you prefer?

jim frost
jimf at saber.com

[Standard disclaimers]