Dhrystone 2.0 timings

David L. Luner luner at werewolf.cs.wisc.edu
Sat Mar 3 05:07:42 AEST 1990

In a previous article shawn at jdyx.UUCP (Shawn Hayes) writes:

>      Well, this want answer all the questions about how fast the new RS 6000
>machines really are, but here is my attempt to help.

Thank you. All we're (and, I suppose, We're all) looking for is a fair
evaluation.

>     I recently got a copy of the Dhrystone program V2.0 and ran it on our
>RS 320 machine.

The current field releases of AIX V3.1 are preliminary. Furthermore,
they are changing daily. I believe the current release is "8943Q". What
version we you running on? If you run benchmarks on early releases, be
aware that things may change *in either direction*.

> The results aren't quite what IBM stated (using V1.0), but
> that shouldn't be a big suprise.  :>

For any number of reasons. First: they even ran the Dhrystone V1.1 on
a different release. Second: Dhrystone V2.0 makes things (intentionally)
more difficult for the compiler. Third: Read on for caveats w.r.t. "43Q".

> I got a value of 11,881.2 dhrystones/sec
>using a non-optimized version, and a value of 18,867.9 dhrystones/second
>using the optimizer.  Averages out to about 11 MIPS which isn't bad.

In trying to duplicate the published Dhrystone V1.1 numbers that were
published I discovered two things on. For the time being I only assume
this is specific to "43Q". Number one, the clock runs at 100Hz. The
V1.1 code I was using assumed a 60Hz clock so the numbers looked low.
Secondly, there is a problem in the C libraries related to the string
handling functions. A bypass (to convince you of the "reasonableness"
of the published numbers) is to

	#include <strings.h>

This will in-line the string handling functions. *** I know this is not
kosher. Until the C library is fixed in a later release, it will have to
do.

>     In addition I decided to run another test today and ran 11 copies of the
>optimized version at the same time.  I got about 18,700 dhrystones/sec on
>10 of the copies and about 14,000 on the last copy.  Not bad at all.

Assuming that the Dhrystone V2.0 code is like the V1.1 code in this
respect, it only looked at user process time, not elapsed clock time.
If I am wrong in this, I am impressed because what you stated implies
over 187K Dhrystones.

>    Speaking of benchmarks I have two requests.
>First, does anyone know of any good system level benchmarks?

IBM has stated that SPEC (for sure) and RAMP-C (I think) numbers will be
provided in the forseeable future. Other things you may look at are the
MUSBUS and X-benchmarks.

> Second,  does anyone know how much time an RS 6000/320 will take to do a
> context switch??????   We've talked to our SE...

Please refer your SE to me.

	-- David

David Luner
IBM Madison
(608) 273-5243

Disclaimer: #include <sys/aix/rs6000/disclaimer>