AIX 3.1 sendmail, named, and 2 net interfaces

R. Lindsay Todd todd at narnia.ecs.rpi.edu
Wed Nov 28 04:43:34 AEST 1990

I am trying to set up my sendmail.cf to work on an RS6000 that has
two ethernet interfaces and runs named.  The machine has, of course,
different IP addresses for each interface, but a single name; it also
runs routed to function as a gateway between the two subnets.  It also
runs named, and uses name resolution.  These all work correctly; sending
mail works correctly; but receiving mail does not work.  I get the following
sort of messages from the MAILER-DAEMON:

>>> HELO aix01.ecs.rpi.edu
<<< 553 Local configuration error, hostname not recognized as local
554 <todd at aix01.ecs.rpi.edu>... Service unavailable: Bad file number

   ----- Unsent message follows -----

Note that aix01.ecs.rpi.edu is what hostname returns on this machine.  I'm
using IBM's sendmail.cf, with modifications made as appropriate for host and
domain name.  (I've gotten this to work with no problem on an RS6000 with
only a single network interface).

Can anyone enlighten me on anything I may be doing wrong?
--
R. Lindsay Todd, Systems Programmer
ECS, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 12180-3590
Internet: todd at narnia.ecs.rpi.edu