Telnet negotiation - Not a defect: a feature!

Robin D. Wilson/1000000 robin at sabre.austin.ibm.com
Thu Oct 25 03:32:31 AEST 1990

In article <18224 at oolong.la.locus.com> brian at cygnus.la.locus.com (Brian D. Horn) writes:
)In article <1990Oct12.171007.14012 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick at cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
)>environment variable. Unfortunately, IBM has decided that the /bin/login,
)>which executes after telnetd is done, look up the terminal type in
)>/etc/ports and kludge whatever telnetd has set. This makes the implementing
)>RFC 1091 absolutely useless.
)
)	Unfortunately I have no ready access to an RS/6000, but both
)AIX/370 and AIX/PS/2 DO correctly implement terminal type negotiation in
)telnet.  If the RS/6000 does not it is a BUG and should be fixed.  If the
)IBM service rep gives you grief, point out that the 6000 is family
)incompatible in this respect.

The RS/6000 follows the standard, and does work.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|UUCP:     cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin             |
|USNail:   701 Canyon Bend Dr.                                                |
|          Pflugerville, TX  78660                                            |
|          Home: (512)251-6889      Work: (512)823-4526                       |