AIX LPR OPTIONS (?)

marc at arnor.uucp marc at arnor.uucp
Wed Oct 3 22:00:52 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct2.163654.797 at panews> jsalter at slo writes:

   Yes, I know.  I opened a problem report about this a long time ago before
   GA.  The reason this happens is that only the first 14 characters of a
   filename are stored in the directory with a pointer off to the rest.  Since
   od just reads the parameter you give it, and won't spend it's time tracing
   pointers, the output you get from od is valid, it just *looks* System 5-ish.

Not quite.  The directory structure of the AIX V3 JFS uses the BSD
representation internally.  BSD does not support opening a directory
for reading.  Programs which want to read a directory use opendir/readdir.

But System V programs (old ones) sometimes read directories directly.
So the AIX V3 file system supports direct reads of directories by
"simulating" the System V look.  This works (well) only if the directory
really contains file names limitted to 14 characters.

Marc Auslander