VAX/SGI -> IBM RISC/6000 source format problem with FORTRAN code

Alex Martelli alex at am.sublink.org
Sun Oct 21 19:18:39 AEST 1990

In <1990Oct18.140659.34573 at eagle.wesleyan.edu> hoberoi at eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>problem : the source is tab delimited and extends over 72 columns and will
>therefore not be accepted by xlf. Replacing tabs with spaces will not work as,
>the fixed format for xlf will ignore colums beyond 72. Free format source on

I believe xlf has an option to set the linelength it will accept to
something else than 72.  Anyway it should be pretty easy to define
a source-to-source transformation, say by piping the tab-expanded
source into awk running something like (NOT tested):

length($0)>72 { print substr($0,1,72);
				print "     ." substr($0,73)
			  }
(if all length are no more than 138, with obvious extensions to more
continuation-lines if needed).
--

Alex Martelli - (home snailmail:) v. Barontini 27, 40138 Bologna, ITALIA
Email: (work:) staff at cadlab.sublink.org, (home:) alex at am.sublink.org
Phone: (work:) ++39 (51) 371099, (home:) ++39 (51) 250434;