Help on Compiling Emacs on AIX (RS6000)

Andy Lowe lowe at nthropy.UUCP
Wed Oct 10 07:06:19 AEST 1990

yzhao at hermes.cs.uh.edu writes:

> I am trying to install amacs on RS6000 running AIX using the file
> obtained from University of Washington. The compiling went fine, but
> when tring to link the object files using ld, I gor the following
> messages:
     ...  ...

0706-244 ERROR: No entry point or export symbols were found
         following garbage collection.

boy, does that sound familiar!

Eliot Lim <eliot at lanmola.engr.washington.edu> answered that question for
me just yesterday:

1. modify src/ymakefile to use -O, and not -g

unfortunately,
        cc -O -Demacs  -D_BSD  -c data.c
generated an error:
xlc: 1501-229 Compilation ended due to lack of space

skipping optimization for this one routine worked, however.

2. use cc rather than ld to link. (you can remove the reference to -lc)

3. also, I couldn't get the loader to find alloca().

 explicitly including the version thoughtfully provided with the gnuemacs
 distribution finally worked.

the posting:
	 use of alloca and optimization under XL C on AIX 3.1
by abe at mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell)
in this newsgroups seems to report a similar problem.

4. I haven't tried the X emulator yet, since eliot seemed to indicate
he was having problems.  stay tuned...

it's a little clunky, but it works.

good luck!

Andy Lowe