dumb question: "32 bit clean"

Mark Wilkins wilkins at jarthur.Claremont.EDU
Wed Oct 3 11:09:09 AEST 1990

In article <15735 at yunexus.YorkU.CA> rreiner at yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
>In particular, can post-compilation processing
>convert a non-32 bit clean app into a 32 bit clean one?  And what
>proportion of today's off-the-shelf Mac software is 32 bit clean

  a) No, a 32-bit dirty app stays so forever until recompiled or patched
with a patch tailored to the application.

  b) I've run my system using 7.0a9 in 32-bit mode for several weeks at a
time.  I'd say about 4/5 of the available apps are 32-bit clean, including
Mathematica (thankfully!  And surprising because of Mathematica's design).

  However, I've not found a 32-bit clean word processor, or at least I
haven't found a word processor which doesn't bomb in 32-bit mode.  The only
exception is MacWrite II, which doesn't seem to crash unless you print
something.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********