Using "du" over NFS between RS6000 and RT

Richard A Johnson raj at pollux.geog.ucsb.edu
Sat Oct 13 09:29:27 AEST 1990

We have a bunch of old IBM RT machines around here on which we're currently
running AIX.  (We will eventually change them over to AOS so we can have long
filenames, large files, etc., but right now they're running AIX :-( )  I have
the user's partition (usually /u under AIX) NFS mounted onto our RS/6000
machines so we can use the disk space.  Yesterday I did a "du" on a directory
which resides on the RT and the sizes it gave me for the subdirectories were
WAY OFF!  The total given was about 900000 when it should have been around
150Mb (which may be displayed as around 300000 on the RT since a lot of things
on that system use 512 byte blocks [God only knows why they chose to be
inconsistent.  Probably the same reason they chose it in the chfs command under
AIX 3.])

Anyway, I thought it was rather strange that du would be so far off.  Does
anyone know what's going on here?