Q's regarding networking/AIX

John William Garnett garnett at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 4 02:54:16 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct3.125930.7695 at hod.uit.no> thostr at stud.cs.uit.no (Thomas Strandenaes) writes:
>I'll hop right into it:
>
>Q: Is there any support for the Western Digital Ethercard PLUS/A
>   in AIX (both AIX Access and TCP/IP), or do drivers supplied by
>   other companies that support it exist?
>
>And,
>
>Q: Does the X-windows package need the TCP/IP package to run?

Without knowing which machine you are using (RT, PS/2, S/6000,
3090 etc.) and version of AIX you are using it is difficult to
answer the questions you have posed.  However, assuming
you are referring to an RT and AIX 2.2.1 in Q2, its been my
experience that X-Windows will run without TCP/IP as long as TCP/IP
hasn't been installed.  After TCP/IP had been installed, X
wouldn't start up unless TCP/IP was active (I'm assuming
the TCP/IP installation modifies some script that X uses -
if so, this problem probably has a workaround).
--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin