can an rs/6000 do real time, My IBM rep says so?

Russell A. Heise RAH at IBM.COM
Thu Oct 11 00:15:14 AEST 1990

 ssw at cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) writes:

 > Our IBM rep is telling me that the RS/6000's AIX can do real time
 > applications.  Specifically, he says setting a proceses priority to the
 > highest value will guarantee that process responding to an interrupt
 > within a fixed about of time.  This sounds totally off-the-wall to me.
 > Can anyone elaborate on the real time capabilities of the rs/6000 , if
 > any.

 Yes, root-owned processes can set themselves to a fixed priority and
 potentially disable most interrupts.  For more information, have your
 IBM rep search through InfoExplorer on his branch RS/6000 on the search
 words "setpri" and "getpri".

Russ Heise, AIX Technical Support, IBM