Compiling Emacs crashes VRM

Marco Pauck MemAlloc at mcshh.hanse.de
Wed Oct 3 08:14:07 AEST 1990

When compiling Emacs 18.52 on AIX 2.2.1 our system sometimes
crashes displaying error code "c602" on the front panel. The
errorlog shows the following entry:

Date/Time            Class           Subclass        Type      Device  Cause
Wed Sep 26 18:40:33  Software        VRM Abend       Abbrev            Software

VRM_Abend 	Component_ID=0
	Abend_Type=unidentified_IAR_exception
	Machine_Check_Status=00 	Program_Check_Status=00
	$CURID=020E0048
	IAR=0000702A 	ICS=1286
	Abend_Type=Software 	Condition_Status=11

When compiling WITHOUT optimizer, it is possible to get Emacs
built (just type "make", wait for crash, boot, type "make" again
and wait for next crash until all files are compiled ... ;-)

When compiling WITH -O flag the system crashes VERY frequently!

We never had this kind of problem before. How is it possible to
crash the VRM by a user process? More important: how is it
possible to avaiod this?

The system is a 6150 model 125 with 8 MB and the latest PTFs
installed.

	Marco Pauck
	WMD GmbH, Hamburg

-->