Blasted 8 digit error codes!

Mark Brown mbrown at tonic.osf.org
Fri Oct 5 23:40:26 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct5.065442.8569 at cs.umn.edu>, lindner at cs.umn.edu (Paul
Lindner) writes:
|> Is there any way to suppress the 8 digit error codes on AIX 3.1 on the
|> RS/6000?  If I see another one of them I think I'll scream!!  They're
|> even in vi!!  I wanted a workstation, not handmedowns from the
|> System/390!

What? You don't *want* a three-line explanation every time something goes
wrong? :-) :-)

Follow these instructions, and your messages will revert to the the familiar,
terse, cryptic UNIX messages you know and love. ("eh?" is *my* favorite.)

NOTE: You *can*, if you wish, replace "mv" with "rm" in these
instructions. I don't recommend it - you may want these back again, if
you ever have a novice on the system (or if something goes wrong...).

--------clip-n-save--------------

#cd /usr/lpp/msg/$FOO      (in the US, $FOO == En_US . In other locales,
			    it will be something similar.)
#mv *.cat $BAR             ($BAR == some storage facility)

All commands (excepting shells and other programs currently running) will
now default to the XPG "C" locale, which is built into the code.

Restart your shells to have them change as well.

Mark Brown   IBM AWD / OSF  |"Coffee for my breakfast, whiskey by the side
The Good     mbrown at osf.org | it's a dark and gloomy mornin',
The Bad     uunet!osf!mbrown| gonna rain outside, outside ---
The Ugly     (617) 621-8981 |              ...and the forecast calls for pain."