AIX LPR OPTIONS (?)

Ronald S. Woan ron at woan
Wed Oct 3 01:38:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct1.223701.25867 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
tundra at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (John Kemp) writes:
john> We are trying to print from an AIX system to an HPUX system.
john> The file names that end up in the HP spool directory are
john> mysteriously truncated.  For example, the spool control file
john> should have a name like "XXXxxxozone.atmos.uiuc.edu".  Instead
john> it has a name like "XXXxxxozon".

john> Since this behavior does not occur when remote printing is done
john> from a Sun, I tend to think the IBM is at fault.

john> Does anyone know how or where to change the parameters
john> that the IBM passes to a remote printer which end up
john> in the remote spool file? (say that three times fast)

You need to look at the options for rembak to tell it to work with a
non AIX 3.1 remote printer queue (look in info for more
information)... Anyway, here is a suggested change that may work...

		***** IBM SIDE *****

/usr/lpd/qconfig:
	lp:
		 s_statfilter = /usr/lpd/bsdshort
       		 l_statfilter = /usr/lpd/bsdlong
       		 device = rp0
       		 up = TRUE
       		 host = uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
       		 rq = lp
	rp0:
       		 backend = /usr/lpd/rembak

		***** CHANGE TO *****

/usr/lpd/qconfig:
	lp:
       		 device = rp0
       		 up = TRUE
	rp0:
       		 backend = /usr/lpd/rembak -S uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu -P lp -N

Note: you may have been able to leave some of the stuff in the lp
definition, for status, etc...) or leave off the domain for the remote
printer host (if same as client)...

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan at peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin at iinus1.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +