Compiling BSD style software under AIX V3.x

Matthew Lewis matthew at ooc.uva.nl
Fri Oct 26 00:15:25 AEST 1990

Hello!

I am trying to put the 'popper' pop server up on an RS/6000.  I hope I have
the OS release correct - it is the latest, in any case.  I have the
document 'bsdportx', which purports to tell me how to do this.  I've had a
lot of trouble, possibly related to my inexperience with AIX.

1.  In the document, it tells me how to add bsdcc as a link to xlc.  Then,
it turned out that even if I changed the 'cc' to 'bsdcc' in the make file,
that somehow the 'make rules' were overriding it.

2.  The preprocessor had problems with the include files.  Once again, I
was supposed to give the following flags:

	-tp -B/path/

which would run the preprocessor as an external program, which would make
it more forgiving.  Still no luck.

In short, does anyone have any good advice on how to get things to compile
and run on this machine?  E-mail me, and I will summarize.

Thank you,

Matthew Lewis
--
Matthew Lewis, University of Amsterdam		Grote Bickersstraat 72
+31-20-52 51 220				1013 KS  Amsterdam