AIX LPR OPTIONS (?)

John Kemp tundra at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 2 08:37:01 AEST 1990

We are trying to print from an AIX system to an HPUX
system.  The file names that end up in the HP spool
directory are mysteriously truncated.  For example,
the spool control file should have a name like
"XXXxxxozone.atmos.uiuc.edu".  Instead it has a name like
"XXXxxxozon".

Since this behavior does not occur when remote printing is
done from a Sun, I tend to think the IBM is at fault.

Does anyone know how or where to change the parameters
that the IBM passes to a remote printer which end up
in the remote spool file? (say that three times fast)

Thanks in advance,
--------  john kemp            (  (  )_  internet - kemp at uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
  -----                       (  (   __)   decnet - uiatmb::kemp
   ---    univ of illinois   (_ (   __)    bitnet - {uunet,convex}
   --     dept of atmos sci  .(____).               !uiucuxc!uiatma!kemp
   -      105 s gregory ave    ...          phone - (217) 333-6881
    -     urbana, il 61801    ...             fax - (217) 444-4393

		***** IBM SIDE *****

/usr/lpd/qconfig:
	lp:
		 s_statfilter = /usr/lpd/bsdshort
       		 l_statfilter = /usr/lpd/bsdlong
       		 device = rp0
       		 up = TRUE
       		 host = uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
       		 rq = lp
	rp0:
       		 backend = /usr/lpd/rembak

command used:
	$ lpr -Plp testfile

		***** HP SIDE *****

NOTE: the truncated spool file name "ozon" appears in the spool cf file
      and as part of the spool file name

/usr/spool/lp/request/lp/cfA044ozon:
	Hozone.atmos.uiuc.edu
	Pkemp
	J/usr/spool/qdaemon/tO5EDaw
	Cozone.atmos.uiuc.edu
	Lkemp
	K1
	O -oBSDJ/usr/spool/qdaemon/tO5EDaw -oBSDCozone.atmos.uiuc.edu
	FdfA044ozon
	fdfA044ozon
	UdfA044ozon
	N/usr/spool/qdaemon/tO5EDaw

/usr/spool/lp/request/lp/dfA044ozon:
	this is a test of IBM to HP lpr remote printing...

/usr/spool/lpd.log:
	rlpdaemon: ozone.atmos.uiuc.edu requests recvjob lp

NOTE: the fully qualified name in the lp request causes the error

/usr/spool/log:
	lp-44   smith    lp      Oct  1 17:10
	lpsched: Unable to open and lock
	"request/lp/cfA044ozone.atmos.uiuc.edu"