Problems with compiling sources.

Carl Lewis carl at diemen.utas.edu.au
Tue Oct 16 08:47:40 AEST 1990

Jesse Asher writes :
>I'm trying to help someone compile programs such as elm, bnews, rn, etc.
>in order to get him on the net.  He has an RS/6000 and he's not familiar
>with C and I'm not familiar with AIX.  Is there some kind of mode that I
>can use with cc in order to compile this stuff easier (I'm thinking in
>terms of non-ansi compliant mode)?  Can anyone give me some tips on
>compiling the above software.  I tried elm and got the following error
>message right away:

>    cd src; /bin/make - all
>    cc  -O -I../hdrs    -c addr_util.c
>       45 |      *strchr(), *strcpy(), *strcat(), *strncpy();
>    1506-041: (S) Parameter list cannot contain fewer parameters than required by macro  definition.

>1254-004  The error code from the last failed command is 1.
>Make Quitting.

>1254-004  The error code from the last failed command is 1.
>Make Quitting.

I'm trying to compile ELM at the moment myself. the work around for the first
problem is to use -U__STR__ as an arguement to cc .
This undefines a variable which tells the compiler to do inline
substitution of strcpy() and another function. Unfortunately the
substitutions won't compile (at least with reasonble cc arguements :-)

Unfortunately your troubles don't end there.
You'll probably need to use cc (bsdcc) with the suggested
    -B/lib/ -tp
arguements for most of the source , but without them for one or
two other programs in the ELM suite.

Then .. (Taking a deep breath :-)
You get to the bit where you find out that the tgetent() call in
curses.c doesn't work . I'm currently trying to find a reasonble work
around at the moment . If any one out there nows why the tgetent() call
seems to be braindead but the underlying setupterm() call seems to work fine,
please, please let me know.

>I would appreciate any help with this.  Also, I didn't find a localize
>script for aix in the bnews package.  What should I use instead or
>does anyone out there have one?  Thanx again.

>---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---
>      Jesse W. Asher                             Phone: (901)382-1609
>               6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134
>                UUCP: {fedeva,chromc,rutgers}!dynasys!jessea
> -> Condense soup, not books.

Carl Lewis , Programmer with ...

Snail:  Computer Science Dept., University of Tasmania,
        GPO Box 252C, Hobart, TAS, 7001, Australia.
AARN : carl at tasis.eecs.utas.edu.au
FAX  :  (002) 202913
Phone:  (002) 202919