AIX3.1 InfoExplorer/man pages gone and 1/4" tape drive problem

Patrick Torre torre at msa3b.UUCP
Thu Oct 25 01:22:58 AEST 1990

pemurray at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Peter Murray) writes:

>Problem #2
>The Background:  We have a 7207-001 1/4" tape drive hooked up to the
>server for backups.  We also have 1/4" tapes for an NCR Tower.  Every
>time we try to write to a tape, though, we get a media error.  The
>tape drive checks out though, and works if we use the "Test Tape" that
>comes with the system.  I was under the impression that all 1/4" tape
>is the same.

>The Question:  Does the IBM tape drive require a special kind of 1/4"
>tape?

I couldn't find this in info, but it is in some doc from the AIX
system administration class.

           /dev/rmtX.ABC
                   ^ ^^^

X = The order of the tape device on the system. (rmt0,rmt1,etc....)
A = Density
    1 = QIC120 = 120 meg \____ This is what the Student guide says
    2 = QIC150 = 150 meg /     but you will probably have to experiment.

B = Retension
    1 = YES
    2 = NO

C = Rewind on close
    1 = Do NOT Rewind
    0 = Rewind

-----
I have seen this error message when trying to use 60 meg tapes on
the streaming tape drive and using /dev/rmt1.1 worked for me.

give it a try.

hope this helps.

--
Patrick Torre @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2061