SPECmarks for RS/6000 systems - lies???

Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre CCHD at lure.latrobe.edu.au
Thu Oct 4 19:46:59 AEST 1990

I have just got a copy of the September 1990 SPECwatch and I am
a bit concerned about the following paragraph:

"There also seems to be a problem with replicating IBM's RS6000
SPECmark results, and with achieving the expected levels of
performance with other code. It's known that IBM extensively
modified the compilers used to compile the benchmarks. If these
"knobs and dials" turn out to be not readily accessible to users
of the production compilers shipped with the systems, SPEC
will be faced with its first serious cheating problem. The usual
prize (a trial subscription or four month extension of an
existing subscription) for the first person to provide
independent RS/6000 SPECmark results using the compilers shipped
with the products."

Would anyone from IBM (or anywhere else for that matter) like
to comment? Has anyone with an RS/6000 and the SPEC benchmark
tape tried/succeeded in running them? I have a 530 on site and
expect two 540's this month. I'd be happy to run the benchmarks
on an idle machine but I don't have access to the tape.

Huw Davies
Computing Services
La Trobe University
Melbourne Australia